We offer an exclusive fossil excursion experience with several amenities. Take part in a leisurely dig in our premier mini fish layers before dinner time while a homemade (or quarry-made) meal of your choice is prepared for you.
After dinner, you’ll get to see a phenomenal sunset overlooking Fossil Butte National Monument. Gaze upon the brightest stars in Wyoming’s wide skies. At dark, we will dig the famous 18-inch Layer—where the world's best preserved museum-quality specimens are collected! Our 18-inch Layer has revealed some of the most paramount of fossils, including a complete 13 foot crocodile just in the last year. What will you find? Also exclusive to our quarry, we have some of the most beautiful mineral replacement coloring, you'll find our fossil fish to have deep earthy red tones in gorgeous detail.
Provided on your tour:
- Private access to In Stone Fossils' Quarry with no other guests
- Gourmet meal prepared for you at the quarry top, any food or beverages at your request, just call or send us a message! (omnivore, vegan, vegetarian, ,gatorade, wine, beer... just ask!) We accommodate for food restrictions, no problem at all!
- Sunscreen and a canopy tent to protect you from the sun and cool filtered water to keep you hydrated
- Your very own fossil guide will dig along side with you, show you the best layers to split, how to split the rock, and makes sure you find the best fossils!
- All tools are provided for you. We recommend you bring sturdy close-toed shoes, a hat, and sunglasses.
The Experience Of A Lifetime
Take advantage of our offer for only $500 per person with a minimum of two people per tour. We give a discount to a party of four. You get to keep everything you find from the mini fish layers. Additionally, each party will get one or several fossil specimens found that amounts to $500 in retail from the Premier 18-inch Layer. If you find any fossil considered "rare", the purchase of that fossil is separate from tour rates and a 50% premium is required to be paid to the landowner.
For an additional charge, you are given the option to have your fossils professionally prepared by one of our highly skilled fossil preparators. Our team uses the best museum-quality tools and employs the latest techniques in handling fossils for our customers.
Plan Your Trip
Our excursion slots fill quickly, so please book in advance. Open months are June, July, August, and Early September. You're welcome to contact us anytime for additional information.
The last truly untouched state of natural wonders in America’s widest open spaces, Wyoming hosts a playground for all who travel there.
Among the thousands of natural exhibits Wyoming has to offer, from Yellowstone National Park to Devil’s Tower National Monument, The Green River Formation’s fossil basin is the most curious and interactive of them all. Experience Earth’s history layer by layer at the words best preserved and abundant fossil record where thousands of species have been discovered.
Discover Green River Formation fossils for yourself at our all inclusive Fossil Digging Tour with gourmet meals and comfortable accommodations right in the heart of Ancient Fossil Lake on our private land near Kemmerer, Wyoming. Spend two days with us and experience what Wyoming is all about; Fun, Fresh Air, and Fossils.
Detailed itinerary Fossil Retreat
· Arrive at our Gallery in historic Kemmerer, Wyoming at approximately 3pm
· Your tour guide will lead you to your campsite accommodation up at our private land in beautiful Commissary Ridge, surrounded by forest.
This time is reserved to help you acclimate to the elevation (7600 feet)
· Enjoy a gourmet dinner prepared for you at the campsite (all food, wine, beer, etc included)
Relax by the campfire
· Star Gaze the brightest stars with zero light pollution for miles around.
· Retire up in your very own updated and comfortable caravan (clean shower and toilet, pull out bed and queen size bed)
· Next morning, enjoy a hearty breakfast to fuel your day
· Optional A.M. plan: Partake in a guided hike through Fossil Butte National Monument with a National Park Ranger where your guide will educate you on the natural surroundings, the history of Fossil Lake, learn more about ongoing research and contribute to the word of science!
· A bagged lunch is provided for your outing, or if you decide to stay at the campsite we will prepare a really nice lunch for you there.
· About 6pm we’ll guide you up to our private quarry
· Begin digging through the mini-fish layers, where you can keep all the mini-fish you find (mortality layers of juvenile Knightia eocaena).
· Enjoy a gourmet dinner prepared for you at the quarry (all food, wine, beer, etc included) over a campfire until dark
· Guided dig in the 18-inch layer under bright lights where you will find your very own museum grade specimen (you keep up to $500 worth (no rare)- large Diplomystus, Priscacara, etc) You can dig for as long as you like up until 1am. If you find any rare fossils, you have the opportunity to purchase them under the condition that the price is not included in your tour.
· Our fossil preparation team will size your fossil down to a manageable size. If your fossil needs preparation you have the option to have one of our skilled fossil preparators clean and preserve your fossil for you at an hourly rate, contact us for more details on pricing.
· Check in to your hotel suite at the Best Western Plus Fossil Country Inn & Suites (included in your package) so you’re well rested for your next Wyoming adventure! (Complimentary breakfast next morning, indoor heated pool, hot tub, 24hr exercise facility, guest laundry, Wi-Fi, late check out available)
We take a lot of pride in giving you the experience of a lifetime. Over the last four summers doing these tours, our past guests tell their friends and family non-stop about what an amazing and memorable time they had digging for fossil fish. We can’t wait for you to experience the absolute best guided tour in all of Wyoming.