We offer an exclusive fossil excursion experience with several amenities. Take part in a leisurely dig in our premier mini fish layers before dinner time while a homemade (or quarry-made) meal of your choice is prepared for you.
After dinner, you’ll get to see a phenomenal sunset overlooking Fossil Butte National Monument. Gaze upon the brightest stars in Wyoming’s wide skies. At dark, you'll be digging alongside highly experienced tour guides who will show you everything you need to dig the famous 18-inch Layer—where the world's best preserved museum-quality specimens are collected! Our 18-inch Layer has revealed some of the most paramount of fossils, including a complete 13 foot crocodile just in the last year. What will you find? Also exclusive to our quarry, we have some of the most beautiful mineral replacement coloring, you'll find our fossil fish to have deep earthy red tones in gorgeous detail.
Provided on your tour:
- Private access to In Stone Fossils' Quarry with no other guests
- Gourmet meal prepared for you at the quarry top, any food or beverages at your request, just call or send us a message! (omnivore, vegan, vegetarian, gatorade, wine, beer... just ask!) We accommodate for food restrictions, no problem at all!
- Sunscreen and a canopy tent to protect you from the sun and cool filtered water to keep you hydrated
- Your very own fossil guide will dig along side with you, show you the best layers to split, how to split the rock, and makes sure you find the best fossils!
- All tools are provided for you. We recommend you bring sturdy close-toed shoes, a hat, and sunglasses. Some guests may consider bringing knee-pads as well.
The Experience Of A Lifetime
Take advantage of our offer for only $750 per person with a minimum of two people per tour. We give a discount to a party of four or more, so bring your friends and family! Parties of four or more only pay $600 per person. You get to keep everything you find from the mini fish layers! Additionally, each party will get one or several fossil specimens found that amounts up to $1000 value from the Premier 18-inch Layer. You absolutely have the option to keep more fossils at $50hr preparation cost (which resembles wholesale values once completed). If you're lucky and find any fossil considered "rare", the purchase of that fossil is separate from tour rates and a 50% premium is required to be paid to the landowner. (Rare fossils are sometimes undescribed scientifically important specimens that require study, or typically range in values of $10,000 - $2M)
For an additional charge, you are given the option to have your fossils professionally prepared by one of our highly skilled fossil preparators. Our team uses the best museum-quality tools and employs the latest techniques in handling fossils for our customers.
Large or bulk specimens we can ship directly to your home with upmost care.
Plan Your Trip
Our excursion slots fill quickly, so please book in advance. Open months are June, July, August, and Early September. You're welcome to contact us anytime for additional information.